Khliehriat: East Jaintia Hills District Swimming Association
Khliehriat is another organisation to publicly oppose the mining expansion plan of Star Cement at Brichyrnot village near Narpuh.
The Association through its letter to the Member Secretary, Meghalaya State Pollution Control Board, EJHDSA/SWIMMING/2019/01 dated: 10/10/2019 gave a written opposition to the plan of Star Cement to expand its mining of limestone in a 42 hectares Brichyrnot land. The public hearing for this proposal is scheduled to be held on the 19th October, 2019.
The Association stated its opposition on the following grounds:-
- Threat to Tourism of the Lukha River which is just 500 metres away from the mining site
- Threat to Lukha River as source of Sporting area for our East Jaintia Hills District
- Threat to Tourism of Narpuh Wildlife Sanctuary
- Threat to the Caves system
- Threat to Animals, Human beings and to Herbal medicinal plant
All these are lying adjacent to the proposed mining site. The negative effect is thus magnanimous and beyond repair to both environment, tourism and human lives.
The Association therefore, strongly urged the Board not to conduct the said public hearing or face consequences.
The letter was signed by Mr. Knerlang Pala Vice-President, and Mr. Rinimon Shylla, Adviser EJHDSA.