Khliehriat: Rural & Urban Development Society, East Jaintia Hills District (RUDS) is one of the many social welfare organisation working for the welfare of the people in the area. RUDS protests against the public hearing of the Star Cement to carry out mining of lime quary at Brishyrnot, elaka Narpuh. The protest is based on the following grounds:-
- The area for mining is close with the Narpuh Wildlife Sanctuary which is an Eco-sensitive zone.
- the area is so close with Lukha river and quarrying will harm aquatic life in it.
- The area is so close with residential area. Thus, quarrying will affect the health conditions of the residents especially due to air pollution.
- The Company did not fulfill the conditions laid down when it signed the agreement one of such is employing of locals.
- The company did not contribute to the welfare and development of the people’s life in the area but only harm to the nature.
Based on these grounds, RUDS served a written protest against this plan of the Company to the Meghalaya State pollution Control Board, Shillong requesting the Board to stop the Company from going ahead with its plan.